Friday, February 8, 2008

Not so happytimes...

As I started this post I would like to begin by showing you a bit of who I am. I am the type girl or in general the type of person who likes plans. I like to know what is going to happen, when it is supposed to happen, etc. When things do not go according to this plan, however, I still need an explaination. As I was reading David Nasser's A Call To Die (highly recommended) I came across a portion today that I really liked how it made me think:


So we've all asked those questions or had someone ask,
Why does God let us go through suffering?
Why doesn't God, my Savior just make this pain end?
Why is this happening to me?
What did I do wrong?

"Pain produces character in our lives like no amount of pleasure possibly can. Failure and rejection force us to seek God's face just as Moses did. When we go to him in desperation, our ears and our hearts are more open to him than ever before. In that face-to-face encounter, God can expose and purge away impurities in our behavior and our motivations. We see our selfishness as nev er before, and we also experience God's grace as never before. failure and rejection have a way of striping us of dependence on our own abilities. We realize we can't accomplish a thing apart from God's direction and power. As our motives are purified and our faith grows, we are better able to rest in and trust in God's hands. This will allow us to become more useful in his loving hands."

I think that says it all. Now you know why.
Romans 5:3 Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

7 comments:

Jordan said...

wow ok so thanks for confiming what I told you the other night...


I read that earlier this week and it has really made me think a lot. Christians should worry when they don't suffer...God wants your life to be good but if you are truly following Him you should suffer.

Chelsea said...

love it! totally another point that i did not hit on!

Anonymous said...

i have also heard rumors that you do indeed like planners

Anonymous said...

you changed the title of your blog!

aimeenky said...

Oh I love plans as well...which as you obviously know, has its pros and cons! That MercyMe song, Bring the Rain is exactly in line with what you wrote. Especially where it says:
"Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free;
Bring me anything that brings
You glory.
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to
praise You Jesus, bring the rain."
Wow...it's hard to pray for that kind of rain, but it DOES bring Him glory if we go through that rain the way He wants us to!

Chelsea said...

It literally cracks me up that you wrote that song because I found that song one day when it was totally fitting. Wow. It seems like we always like the same songs.!

TaylorW said...

I suffer every time I read you blog.> but now I know that it's ok and actually good for me.


(jk)
I couldn't resist...


On a serious note, a call to die is solid. I'm pumped to hear about what you're learning through the book. Nasser has a way of just stripping things down to the basics; to Christ. It is refreshing.

keep postin'